Ironman Countdown

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

60 Days to Go -- 10 Day Dedication to My Girls

Here we are, 60 Days to go until IMMD.  I am getting super excited, and I also want to puke a little.  Seems pretty normal to me.

I covered a lot of ground the last ten days (literally), particularly on the bike. On Sunday, July 26, 2015, I did the Firefighter 50 Mile ride through parts of Western Maryland... or at least further west than where I live.  I got to ride with my brother-in-law Sean, which was the best part.   But we joined up with my friends Jerry, Chris and Jack (who form My HC Cycling... a great webpage, check it out here:  My HC Cycling), as well as my co-worker and newbie triathlete Liz, and another co-worker and seasoned triathlete, Amy.  Amy's fiance Tim, who is also taking on IMMD, was there too, and one or two others.  The ride is sponsored by the Pleasant Valley Community Fire Department.  For thirty bucks you get a well marked road, a rest stop with tons of food and drink, and a fantastic lunch afterwards.  Even a "pretend cyclist" like me had a good time, and it is definitely more fun to cover mileage like that with good friends than by myself.
The Group:  Chis, Amy, Tim, Jack, Liz, Me, Sean & Jerry

beautiful covered bridge at the rest stop, around mile 30

Liz, taking the bridge

kickass triathlete Amy -- we solved the world's problems on this ride

Sean & me

super proud of him
I also really got back to swimming.  I spent the last month sort of testing the waters (pun intended) and doing long easy uneventful swims.  But now it is time to start doing sets and intervals and such.  I had a long bike (65 miles) and a long run (13 miles) to do by myself, and I felt strong... so that's a good sign.

Which brings me to this next 10 Day Dedication Block, from August 4 through 14, 2015.  I have already highlighted several of my wonderful girlfriends, who also happen to be my co-workers (past and present).   I can't imagine life without them in it.  But I am also blessed with several girlfriends outside my office; they have been with me through so many different times and stages... some longer than others... but all significant and important to me.

I dedicate these 10 Days to My Girls... I don't know where I would be without you, and I don't want to ever find out.  

I have to highlight these 6 amazing women in particular.  Their impact on my life is immeasurable:

Carrie, me and our boys, 2011
Carrie:  aka Cazzie.  We are 3000 miles and 22 years apart from our glory days, when we saw each other on the daily at the pool.  I went through my teen years with you, and from you I learned the importance of having girlfriends.  I learned that girls who tear you down or try to compete with you by belittling you are not true friends.  I learned that boys really are just boys in the end, much as we love them.  And from you and in part because of you, I think I have become a reliable friend.  Time and distance matters little to us.  The fact that I have not laid eyes on you in almost 4 years bears no significance on how much I love you.   I wish all the time that your boys and my children could be friends, that we could talk each other through this whole motherhood thing.  But I know that when we are next together, we will pick right up where we were last, and our time apart will evaporate like it always does.  Thank you for being my cheerleader, from 3000 miles away.  Thank you for believing in me.

"Cheddar":  I am using your fake name.  You know who you are.   The moment we met in
Shamrock Half 2014
high school, we recognized the "old soul" in each other.  Our senses of humor were just a touch different; we can play "So Wat'cha Want" by the Beastie Boys on our backpack zippers.  We quote Ed McMahon... "YES!!!"  And while we both moved on from our sacred ESHS days, we always stayed in contact in one form or another.  Then running brought us officially back together.  I love running for that!  Our road trip to the Shamrock Half in 2014 was one of the best times ever.... and I think that was our first time discussing Ironman.  I am so proud of you and the marathoner you have become.  And I am so grateful that I have you to check in with, to send Ryan Gossling pictures to, and to know you always have my back.  Thank you for believing in me.

California trip, 1999
Jen McD:  We have our own coded language, i.e. GA & GC... ooh la lee.... MIA... budding reproduction...  I could go on forever with that.  When we first met at 18, I could never have predicted how close we would become.  You are such a huge part of what Villanova meant to me.  I love how I could text you one word or lyric right this second, and you would respond in kind, and I would be laughing and smiling for the rest of the day.  While both of our lives have taken major turns into busy-ness, we both always  know that the other is there.  Always.  You are beautiful inside and out, and watching you become the doctor, mother and wife you've always dreamed of makes me so very proud.  I was so happy to share in "Hello Dolly" last month, to be reminded of that gorgeous singing voice you have and that talent  inside you.  Thank you for always being there for me; thank you for always supporting me and loving me.  Thank you for believing in me.
40 year olds

Arbutus Firecracker 10K, 2014
Jen "Ski":  You are my sister-wife in every sense of the word.  I am so lucky to have met you, Brooke and Kristie, and all my other Catonsville Mommy friends; I was starting to think no body cool became a mother in The Ville.  Ha!   But you seem to be cut from the same "overly-sensitive-type-A-highly-scheduled" cloth as I am.  I love your family like my own.  I know I can call you at any time and ask you any favor:  from watching Julia so I can do a race; to helping get through the crazy month of June; to watching my children so James and I can catch a movie.  I can tell you about all my crazy worries, about my obsessive sensitivity, and you don't ever judge me for it.  I love getting to do spin class with you, our standing Tuesday date.  I love that you are running and can appreciate that aspect of me, too.  I am always amazed that our ages and our different backgrounds were a perfect match when we met a few short years ago.  Thank you for always looking out for me and my family.  Thank you for believing in me.
at Jen's first half marathon, Annapolis 2014
Kate & me, and our girls
Kate:  My room-mate forever, my partner in "crime."  You are a huge part of my very best memories (or lack of memory?) from our "roaring 20's."  I loved my Baltimore years so much!  Living with you was one of the best decisions I ever made.  And the fact that two girls as similar as we are managed to find each other in law school is incredible.  You are so smart and funny; you are beautiful and kind.  I have loved watching our friendship go from room-mates to mommies.  Emily Belle is so lucky to have you as her role model.  I am so very proud of you and everything you have accomplished.  40 looks good on us, girl.  Thank you for always making me laugh.  Thank you for believing in me.


Tricia, after my very first 20 miler
Tricia:  My BRF (best running friend) and newly annointed AAB (accountabilibuddy?).  While technically you are a girlfriend from work, I have to set you aside a little bit, especially in light of this being all about triathlon and Ironman.  You are the first Ironman that I have known personally.  Do you know this whole thing, this whole journey of mine, started with you?  I mean, I had the thoughts in my head, but you are the one who first said:  "DO IT!"  That applies to my first marathon, and now my first last Ironman.   You know how much I love our quote and how much it applies to our long run talks:  "With your eyes on the road, you can speak from the heart."  I am so grateful to running for creating in us the friendship that we have.  We work together and have kids the same age at the same daycare, which is great.  But running gave us THIS... someone I know I can tell anything to (including Mr. Hanky things), who I can tell my goals to, who will listen to my training thoughts and will encourage me.  I hope I do the same for you.  Thank you for being the voice to my goals.  Thank you for giving me pushes now and then.  Thank you for believing in me.
With Tricia, at her marathon PR in Philly, 2013




For all of the outstanding women I am lucky enough to call my friends, I have the following over the next 10 Days:

6 miles of Swimming
180 Miles of Biking (including my very first Century/100 Miler)
28 miles of Running

You will be in my heart, like you always are.  When I am struggling or getting tired, I will draw upon any number of hilarious memories I have from each of you, and I will smile.  

 

1 comment:

  1. ((((HUGS))))

    60 days out --- how is this possible? I still remember you telling me "I think, maybe, someday I want to do an Ironman..." and I was like yeah I totally knew you would. Cannot wait to see you complete this awesome journey !!

    ReplyDelete