Ironman Countdown

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Swim, Bike, Run, Work, Wife, Mom, Cook, Clean...

I've spent the last two weeks trying to really wrap my head around Ironman training, what I will need to do, the time I'll need to make for it, and starting to get use to more workouts in a week than my usual.  I'm not gonna lie:  I'm worried.  It is my nature, to worry.   Some days I look at my life and think, "I've totally got this."  Other times, I look at my life and think, "What the hell do you think you are doing?  You barely have time to do anything let alone train for this!"
so true!

my "bibles"
As with most things, thinking small and one step at a time does help bring everything back into perspective.  I try to reel myself back in when I feel my "crazy" starting to bubble to the surface.  I have a training plan, and my dear friend Tricia gave me an amazing training diary to help me plan and write out my goals and what I need to do.... a written journal is a great way to take "baby steps" and mark the progress being made.







("Baby steps" is the famous  life affirming program I learned from the movie "What About Bob?"  Thank you Bill Murray!)


my new running buddy, Camden
My training, so far in what is still technically the off-season, has been good.  I try to do three runs, two or three bike sessions, and one swim.  The running, at this point, is so ingrained into my routine that I almost don't have to plan that or think about it.  I work one "long" run in a week (anywhere from 8 to 10 miles), and the other two are 4 to 7 miles.  Usually these runs are in the cold and dark after work hours.  Sometimes I get to meet a friend on a trail nearby.  And sometimes I have to work around the kids and their schedules, and squeeze in time on an early morning of the weekend. 

I do a spin class every Tuesday.  "Real" triathletes will say that this is not a great use of training time, because spin class does not necessarily mirror the bike experience on the road.  But, guess what?  Its FUN!  I have a standing date with my friend Jen; the instructor is good and plays upbeat music that keeps me motivated; and its an hour on the bike that guarantees me about 20 miles and 500 calories to burn.  

But now I work a Thursday morning and one weekend-day on my bike into the week.  My bike is on a trainer (makes it into a stationary bike, if you didn't know what a "trainer" is) in the living room.  So I try to get in an hour to two hours on Thursday mornings.  I have only managed an hour and a half at the most so far, because my Thursday time is wholly dependent on my three year old daughter and whether I can sneak downstairs at 5 a.m. without waking her.  It doesn't always work, and one week I went home at lunch hour and did my trainer then... and went back to work. 

And swimming, as previously discussed, has been given my Friday night attention, before going home for wine and pizza with my family (the kids don't get wine... don't worry).

That all sounds so nice and planned out on paper.  But there are days and weeks where I have felt very rushed, and extremely sleep deprived.  Workouts are cut shorter than I had planned but are at least getting done. I worry that this is working for now, but how will I factor in long outdoor bike sessions in the summer, with swim team and everything else?   How much of the kids lives and James's life will I truly affect, despite my best efforts not to?   How the heck will I get it all done?

And then I return to my journal, my baby steps plan, and try to re-center.  We will eat leftovers some nights, or takeout. I'll sneak in a workout at lunch.  The house will be a wreck.  I will miss some fun events.  But the time will be found.  And I'll do it, because I have set my mind to do it.

For those who are counting, 225 DAYS TIL IMMD!  Here's what the start for the swim looked like this week:
The Choptank River, Cambridge, MD





And, my fundraising page is up and running!  I am racing IMMD for The Little Things for Cancer (see the link to their website to the right of my blog... or follow them on Facebook.)  Through the crazy generosity of family and friends, I am already a third of the way to my goal of $3000.  If you are interested in donating to TLT4C via my fundraising page, that link is also to the right on my blog. I have also created a link here:

 Colleen's Fundraising Page

If you are donating in memory of someone, or in honor of a current warrior, please let me know... I plan on taking a list of all your loved ones (and mine) with me during IMMD.


1 comment:

  1. You will find the time to get it all done because you are a badass SBMA!

    ReplyDelete